"

Aug 22, 2010

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Time for AU to go into permanent hibernation.

Was poised to relate the latest holiday 'airport boarding-pass machine fiasco' - but suddenly realised that this latest technological battle story, is hardly any different to those of previous years - and in all probability (unless scientists can re-grow a new brain for me, from a bit of the old one) the world of technology, in all its wonderfulness, will continue to boggle old Geri forever and ever, ad infinitum....

And anyway, have been thinking deeply and seriously about this computer of mine. Don't really even want it anymore.

The 'search' bar is useful of course, for looking up new stuff - but I can't seem to get animated about anything at all lately. On the other hand, it is also useful for in-depth perusal of News items; but am finding the News more and more depressing and the World more and more unhappy and desperate - and I wish I had a magic wand... but, I haven't.

Going from 'online banking transactions', back to the paper/envelope 'rompslomp', will of course be odd at first; but the radical thought of throwing off as many technological chains as possible and roaming free, both literally and figuratively... is making the old Geri heart feel lighter than it has felt in years!

Visions of walking free through dense woods, filled with beautiful birds and large-eyed night animals; or pottering around cave ridden hills, discovering million year old relics; and dabbling tired feet in babbling streams and quiet woodland ponds; and living quietly with maybe a chicken or two in a little hut or one roomed cottage, tucked away somewhere off the beaten track....(sigh..).
Or maybe I'll just stay here in my little, noisy, smelly (petrol fumes in the kitchen seeping in from adjoining storage rooms of flat dwellers above me) town flat - and sort my head out (!)

So good-bye folks.
And many thanks to all those readers who have followed and hopefully enjoyed AU- and particularly to those who have regularly left comments. Your consistent good natured support has been greatly appreciated!!

Take care, one and all.
Geri Atric.
(AKA - Jean xxx).

7 comments:

Grannymar said...

I will miss you, but do understand where you are coming from. I have had times when I felt like giving up, but then I think of the days I cannot get out and the friends I have made...

Stay safe, well and follow your dream.

Lán grá

Grannymar

Achelois said...

Oh no - I respect your decision. But I don't want you to go. Perhaps you could tweak the blog - you know change the background, start afresh, like a makeover programme and that would make you feel less dissolunsioned (I am losing my spelling mojo today). I also am turning off news - news overload and listening to silence. At the moment raindrops great big ones.

Don't go.

steph said...

Geri,

So sad to read of your decision to quit blogging, and computers in general but having said that, I totally respect your decision.

Your blog has always been a delight to visit. You have a wonderful talent for looking at life from a humorous angle.

Rest assured, you're not alone in losing your grá for blogging. I've never seen the blogosphere as quiet as it's been this summer. When the longer nights draw in, I'm hoping that perhaps curiosity will get the better of you and you will be tempted to blog once more.

Thanks for being such a supportive blogging pal. Please promise me you will get in touch if you need a listening ear

I'm gonna miss you lots.

Steph x

Kate said...

oh Geri - i will miss you and your sense of humour and fun....I would never have known any of it without your computer and the internet. I do hope this is just a passing phase as I shall miss you.... selfish I know but there you are!!!
peace, love, and hugs from this mad hippy and her nutty whippet Alfie!!!! x

Geri Atric said...

GRANNYMAR ~ I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you on your own blog too - and learned a lot of useful things in the process. Including baking a cake that actually rises (!)(never happened before). Taking a photo without getting your thumb in the way - and even how to sew on a button properly! And last but not least, how to deal decently with all types of people. May your friends always treasure you.

ACHELOIS ~ Thank you so much for your support! You truly are an inspiration - and I would just like you to know how much I admire your bravery and tenacity in the face of adversity.
I really don't want to stop blogging; but I need to rebuild my energy right now. Maybe I will be back one day, as doddery and silly as ever(!)
Take care sweetie, and may all those raindrops soon become beautiful rainbows.

STEPH ~ Thank you so much for your kind words. I have thoroughly enjoyed our bloggie chats over these last couple of years and can't imagine not ever getting in touch again!
But have just sort of hit the old proverbial brick wall at the moment.
Anyway, not to worry. A bit of quiet refection should help find the door again.
Take great care of those sinuses Steph. Bung them up tight, when necessary. Good health! Long life!

KATIE ~ Hi! I'll miss you too!
Got to take a bit of 'time out' right now though - but I wish you and your little animal friends all the very best for the future.
Your gardening and travelling stories were (and still are!) fun to read - and Alfie's escapades, have kept me giggling(!)
Keep having fun and take care when climbing your next dizzy holiday skyscraper..!

Martin said...

Ah, you don't need to convince me of the benefits of stepping away.

It was always nice to hear from another buitenlander.

Take care of yourself.

Geri Atric said...

MARTIN ~ Thank you - and the same to your good self! Here's to a gentler world. Proost!